Avon Clean Energy Commission
WHEREAS, the Avon Clean Energy Commission, the “ACEC,” was appointed by the Town Council on December 4, 2008 (charge attached) with several objectives including ensuring that the Town met the 20% by 2010 Clean Energy Communities Municipal Pledge; and
WHEREAS, the charge of the ACEC was again amended on August 4, 2011 and included a request that the ACEC facilitate the development of an Energy Plan for the Town and Board of Education; and
WHEREAS, having facilitated the adoption of the Comprehensive Energy Management Plan, the “Plan,” (adopted by the Town Council on October 4, 2012), the charge to the ACEC was again amended by the Town Council on July 11, 2013 to include the goal, as identified in the Plan, of reducing the Town’s carbon footprint by 20% by 2020; and
WHEREAS, the ACEC reported on the status of the implementation of the Plan to the Town Council at a meeting held on May 5, 2016.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED, that the ACEC shall continue to consist of seven members, including a Chair, to be selected and appointed by the Town Council.
The charge for the Committee is as follows:
- Continue to pursue the goals as identified in the Comprehensive Energy Management Plan as adopted in 2012 and work with Town Staff to identify and recommend additional goals that should be added to the Plan.
- Work with Town Staff to identify clean energy opportunities involving the Avon Village Center Development.
- The Committee shall identify new clean energy technology opportunities that show promise of being compatible and useful to the Town of Avon and its residents.
- Continued participation in the Connecticut Clean Communities Program.
- Reach out to the town residents and schools to implement educational objectives of sustainability.
- Advocate at the State level for policies that enhance our ability to achieve greater sustainability
- The Committee shall continue to provide periodic reviews and reports to the Town Council as necessary and upon request.
Approved by Town Council on October 6, 2016.