COVID-19: Town of Avon Operations Update (01/04/22)
Please note that these measures may be modified as new information becomes available.
The following update provides the current status on a number of Town operations as of January 4, 2022. New information is indicated in red font.
Employees and visitors are REQUIRED to wear a mask upon entering indoor Town facilities, regardless of their vaccination status.
Please help us to protect our staff and your neighbors by wearing your mask at all times. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation.
Town Offices & Department of Public Works:
All Town Offices and the Department of Public Works are open to the public for in-person business. Staff continue to be available via phone and email and we continue to encourage the public to take advantage of our remote service options whenever possible. Many functions can be performed remotely, both quickly and easily, without coming to the office. Please contact the specific department with questions about remote services. A list of department phone numbers is available HERE. Not sure which department to contact? Call (860) 409-4300 and we will direct your request accordingly.
Please keep the following in mind before your visit to Town Offices or the Department of Public Works:
- Please do not come to Town facilities if you are sick.
- Please wear your mask.
- Continue to social distance whenever possible.
- Whenever possible, please fill out appropriate forms ahead of time and have your payment method ready, if required. Most forms, applications, etc. are available for download on the Town’s website.
Public Meetings & Town Hall Room Use:
Public meetings will be held by electronic means. Please see the particular meeting agenda for details.
The Town Manager’s Office is taking reservations for the use of the Selectmen’s Chamber by outside groups. Please call (860) 409-4300 to schedule. Users will be required wear a mask in accordance with Town policy. The Avon Room is not currently available.
Avon Free Public Library:
All floors of the Library are currently open for browsing. Masks are required for all Library staff and patrons (over the age of 2) regardless of vaccination status.
Computer access and curbside pickup of library materials is also available. Call (860) 673-9712 to schedule a 60 minute computer session or curbside pickup appointment. Limited seating is available and some meeting rooms and study rooms remain closed.
Visit www.avonctlibrary.info to see the library’s collection of downloadable content and schedule of virtual programs.
The Avon Police Department has substantially returned to standard service delivery procedures. The following service protocols will be in place.
- For emergency calls, officers will dispatched to the location immediately.
- For non-emergency calls, officers will be dispatched to the location in a timely manner unless the caller requests to speak with an officer by phone instead. In those cases where a complaint is deemed appropriate to be taken over the phone, callers will be asked to provide their name and phone number to the dispatcher. The caller can expect an officer to call them back shortly to discuss the issue and determine if a police response is necessary.*
- If a police response is needed an officer will respond to their residence or business.
- Anyone entering the Police Department facility will be required to wear a mask.
- Fingerprinting services are available by appointment only, Tuesdays, 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon and Thursdays, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please call the Detective Unit at (860) 409-4230 to schedule an appointment. Please review the COVID-19 Fingerprinting Protocols.
The Avon Police Department ensures that all officers are updated on the latest CDC guidelines related to interacting with the public. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. The routine number for the Avon Police Department is (860) 409-4200.
*All phone calls will be made from an Avon Police Department landline so the caller ID identifies the Avon Police Department is calling. If you are unsure if you are speaking with an Avon Police Officer, hang up and call our routine phone number listed above.
Senior Center & Dial-A-Ride:
The Senior Center is open at this time. Masks are required for staff and participants at all times. Further details regarding these safety measures and the Avon Senior Center reopening can be found on the Senior Center web page HERE. Please call the Senior Center at (860) 675-4355 with questions. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Dial-A Ride is providing rides to all pre-pandemic destinations with a limit on the number of passengers of two per trip. Please contact DAR at 860-693-6876, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., for further information and to schedule your rides.
Recreation Programs and Facilities:
The Recreation & Parks Department is accepting Applications for Use of Public Places for events at the Countryside Park Building, Pavilions and other park facilities. Masks are required in the Town’s indoor recreation facilities.
Public parks and open space recreation are open. We ask that ALL of our park patrons and program participants abide by all applicable State and CDC guidelines.
The Simsbury Regional Probate Court serves the residents of Avon, Canton, Simsbury and Granby, and is situated in the Simsbury Town Hall. The Simsbury Town Hall and the Probate Court are open during their normal operating hours: Monday from 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.; Tuesday - Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Please call the Probate Court at (860) 658-3277 for further information. Masks are required in Simsbury’s public buildings regardless of vaccination status.
We will continue to provide updates as necessary. Thank you again for your patience and understanding as we continue to move forward during this challenging time.