Parks, Public Places and Facilities
PARKS, WALKS & TRAILS
Please call 860-409-4332 for further information.
1. Alsop Meadows - 56.20 acres. Nassau Road and Waterville Road. Access between Boyle's Furniture Store and Apple Health Care. Inc. off Waterville Road (Route 10) and adjacent to the Farmington River. A largely undeveloped and unsupervised natural area consisting of woods and open meadows. Used for: walking, hiking, jogging, cross country skiing, canoeing (launch available), and camping (with permission). Garden Plot Program is located here. Part of the Forestry Management Program. Open dawn to dusk, year round. Alsop Meadows Trail Map
2. Buckingham Road Recreation Area - 17.73 acres. 10 Buckingham Road. Access is off Huckleberry Hill Road. There are two (2) all-purpose fields and one full-sized, regulation baseball field; in addition to a fully accessible children’s playground. Open 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., April 1 to November 15. Golf is prohibited and dogs are not allowed on the fields.
3. Countryside Park - 17.5 acres. 335 Huckleberry Hill Road. The area consists of two (2) ponds designated as the upper (north) pond and lower (south) pond and a 60' X 25' multi-use building. Ideal for picnicking and hiking. Countryside Park Trail Map
Building - Available with full kitchen, fireplace, and air conditioning, as well as decks overlooking the lower pond. Used for recreation classes, non-profit public meetings and functions, and rental by private groups. Building capacity is 35. The park is open from dawn to dusk, year round, while the building is available from 9:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., year round.
5. Fisher Farm - 315.16 acres. 75 and 100 Tillotson Road. Formerly a privately owned farm, the area is leased and used as a working dairy farm. Lease restricts public access to the field areas and ponds. Potential development of a river trail. Fisher Farm Trail Brochure
6. Fisher Meadows - 250.45 acres. 800 Old Farms Road and adjacent to the Farmington River. Partially developed (20 acres) with the remaining meadows, wooded areas, and lake in a natural state. Used for:
Lake: Fishing and boating (no motors). No Ice fishing.
Undeveloped Areas: Walking, hiking, jogging, cross-country skiing, and camping (with permission). Part of the Forestry Management Program (Trail maps are available). Open dawn to dusk, year round. Fisher Meadows Trail Map
Softball/Baseball: Fields - Four (4) fields - Open 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., April 1 to November 15. Golf is prohibited and dogs are not allowed on the fields.
All Purpose: Fields - Four (4) fields - Open 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., April 1 to November 15. Golf is prohibited and dogs are not allowed on the fields.
- 2 - sided Soccer Kick Wall and a small children’s playground are available.
- 2 - Pavilions - available April 1 to November15.
7. Found Land - 124 acres. Adjacent to Lofgren Road, located off Huckleberry Hill Road. Open space, wooded area. Used for hiking, jogging, cross country skiing, and camping (with permission). Part of the Forestry Management Program. Trail maps available in the Recreation Dept. Office. Open dawn to dusk, year round. Found Land Trail Map
8. Hazen Park - 36 acres. Located off Nod Road with additional access off Woodford Hills Drive. Sloping, wooded property rising from Nod Road up Avon Mountain with an open meadow on top. Used for hiking, jogging, and camping (with permission). Open dawn to dusk, year round. Hazen Park Trail Map
9. Huckleberry Hill Recreation Area - 279.8 acres. 116 Huckleberry Hill Road with parking access at the Old Huckleberry Hill School. 4.8 acres are developed and consist of one all-purpose field, one swing set, and one basketball court. Available 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., April 1 to November 15. 275 acres of the property are heavily wooded and used for walking, hiking, jogging, cross country skiing, and camping (with permission). Part of the Forestry Management Program. Trail maps are also available in the Recreation Dept. Office. Open dawn to dusk, year round. Golf is prohibited and dogs are not allowed on the field. Huckleberry Hill Trail Map
10. Sperry Park - 9.4 acres located on Simsbury Road (Route 10) and Mountain View Avenue. Park mostly developed into field areas with a small picnic area at the entrance. Consists of three baseball/softball diamonds and one all-purpose field. 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., April 1 to November 15. Home of Avon Little League. Golf is prohibited.
11. Sycamore Hills Recreation Area - 33 acres. 635 West Avon Road. Flat, open land that rises to a wooded area at the rear of the park. Consists of three age-relevant playscapes, four all-weather tennis courts (April 1 to December 1), one outdoor basketball court (year round), one sand volleyball court (April 1 to December 1), pavilion (April 1 to November 15), and an outdoor pool (Open the second weekend in June through Labor Day weekend). Swim lessons, tennis lessons and leagues, and picnicking are available in this area. Golf is prohibited. The Senior Center/Community Room Building is located on this site. Park is open from dawn to dusk, year round.
12. Thompson Road Property- 15.25 acres. 99 Thompson Road. Large, flat, well-drained field area with a large utility building used for storage. Parking lot adjacent to the Farmington Valley Greenway. The area is open from dawn to dusk, year round.
15. Farmington Valley Greenway - 4.5 mile section of a 40-mile trail network being constructed on the abandoned Boston and Maine rail line. It runs from the northerly end at the Simsbury town line southward to the Farmington town line, paralleling Old Farms Road. Used for walking, jogging, rollerblading, bicycling, and cross country skiing (weather permitting). No motorized vehicles (other than wheelchairs) are allowed. Open dawn to dusk year round.
- Register Now
- 2017 Summer Brochure
- Alsop Meadows
- Athletic Fields Advertising Application
- Athletic Fields Advertising Program
- Buckingham Road Recreation Area
- CDC Heads Up Conconcussion Information
- Countryside Park
- Enford Street Ground
- Fall 2016 Program Brochure
- Farmington Valley Greenway
- Fisher Farm
- Fisher Meadows
- Found Land
- Hazen Park
- Huckleberry Hill Recreation Area
- Links to Avon Sports Leagues & Community Organizations
- Park Planning
- Parks, Public Places and Facilities
- River Park
- Sperry Park
- Summer 2017 Employment Information
- Summer 2017 Program Brochure
- Sycamore Hills Recreation Area
- Thompson Road Property
- Town Green