Energy Assistance

CT Energy Assistance Programs:
The State of CT helps households pay for primary heating bills. To be eligible, household income could be up to 200% of the federal poverty income guidelines.

If you have trouble paying your heating bills, turn to CRT for help

This program helps people pay for heat. Low to moderate-income households get help paying utility or fuel bills. Home heating includes oil, natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene, or wood. Even if heat is included in your rent, you may be able to get a one-time cash payment. You can also get help making your home more energy-efficient. Energy assistance programs help many Connecticut families every year.

To Apply

Applications are accepted from September through April.

Eligibility is based on household size, income, and assets. The utility must be billed in the name of an adult member of the household.

To apply, if you are an Avon resident, call the Avon Dept. of Social Services at 860-409-4346, to make an appointment. 

Bring the following paperwork with you to the meeting:

  • Social Security numbers for all household members
  • Dates of birth for all household members
  • For electric or natural gas: Current utility bill in name of a household member over 18
  • For oil, kerosene, wood or propane: Name of fuel company
  • Proof of current gross income (Social Security and other monthly benefits, pay stubs, bank statements) for all household members for 4 weeks prior to application date
  • Current rent or mortgage statement
  • Electric bill (regardless of heat source)  
  • Proof of current assets (bank statements, stocks, bonds, etc)
If you are a 1st - time applicant and an Avon resident, please call the Avon Dept. of Social Services at 860-409-4346, to set up an appointment.

Operation Fuel:

Operation Fuel provides one-time assistance with heating bills for those that do not qualify for government programs.  More information is usually available by November each year through Gifts of Love at (860) 676-2323.