Housing / Mortgage Assistance

Grants for Accessibility - The purpose of the Grants for Accessibility Program is to provide grants (self-amortizing loans) to eligible homeowners for permanent modifications to single-family residential property.

Subsidized Housing List

Subsidized Assisted Living Listing

Federation Homes (Bloomfield)

Virginia Connolly Residence (Simsbury)

Dr. Owen L. Murphy Apartments (Simsbury)

Maple Village (Farmington)

Local Shelters & Alternative Housing

  • Whispering Pines I - Elderly housing with a few units for the disabled - c/o SK Management, PO Box 255, New Ipswich, NH  03071 PHONE:  (603) 878-2400.
  • Whispering Pines II - Elderly housing - c/o Metro Realty Corp., 6 Executive Drive, Farmington, CT 06032  PHONE: (860) 674-5632.
  • Peachtree Village - Elderly housing - c/o Metro Realty Corp., 6 Executive Drive, Farmington, CT 06032  PHONE: (860) 674-5632.
  • Old Farms Crossing - Affordable Housing -  c/o Metro Realty Corp., 6 Executive Drive, Farmington, CT 06032 PHONE: (860) 674-5641.
  • River Ridge Assisted Living - 101 Bickford Drive, Avon, CT 06001 PHONE:  (860) 677-2155.
  • Arden Courts - Assisted living for those with Alzheimer's and Dementia at 100 Fisher Drive, PHONE:  (860) 678-7500.
  • Apple Rehab - Long and short-term rehabilitation care services - 21 Waterville Road, Avon, CT  phone: (860) 678-9755.
  • Avon Health Center  - 652 West Avon Road, PHONE:  (860) 673-2521.

211 "BlueBook"- HUD Associated Housing in CT

CT Housing Search

CRT Affordable Housing Listing

Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP)
CHFA - Customer call center (860) 571-3500 or toll free at (877) 571-CHFA (2432). A CHFA EMAP loan can provide assistance to homeowners who have fallen behind on their mortgage payments and have received a notice of foreclosure from their lender.  Eligible homeowners are required to pay a portion of their monthly mortgage payment to CHFA while receiving the emergency assistance.  The initial loan disbursement will be paid to the homeowners’ mortgage lender to bring the mortgage to a current status.  The loans are available for up to five years, depending on need.  The homeowner does not repay the loan until he or she is financially stable.  
CT Families Program
The federal government has established a website to help homeowners determine if they are eligible to modify or refinance their loan.

Connecticut Housing Finance Authority


CT Department of Housing

Legal Assistance Resource Center of Connecticut
LARCC advocates legislatively and administratively for policies which benefit low-income people.  In collaboration with legal services programs, LARCC produces community education pamphlets, self-help materials and other brief reports.  All publications are available on the website.  LARCC sponsors the Connecticut Alliance for Basic Human Needs (CABHN), a statewide information and advocacy network, which publishes a free newsletter.  LARCC does not represent individual clients. For more information: Website: http://larcc.org/  Address:  80 Jefferson Street, Hartford, CT  06106.  Telephone: (860) 278-5688.  E-mail: larccmail@larcc.org

US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
HUD's mission is to increase homeownership, support community development and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination. To fulfill this mission, HUD will embrace high standards of ethics, management and accountability and forge new partnerships--particularly with faith-based and community organizations--that leverage resources and improve HUD's ability to be effective on the community level.

Making Home Affordable 
Making Home Affordable is part of President Obama's comprehensive strategy to get the housing market back on track.  Through the Making Home Affordable Program, up to 9 million American families may be eligible to refinance or modify their loans to a payment that is affordable now and into the future.



Is Your Landlord Going Through Foreclosure?  What a Tenant Needs to Know

Housing Bulletin - New Laws Expand Mortgage Help for Connecticut Homeowners Facing Foreclosure


Various Links to Home Improvement Assistance Resources and Programs:











Program: Security Deposit Guarantee Program
Community Renewal Team - Eviction And Foreclosure Prevention Program/security Deposit Guarantee Program

395 Wethersfield Avenue
Hartford, CT, 06114
860-560-5881 Phone
860-560-5372 Fax
Site Hours:
M-F: 8am-4pm

For eligible households, the Security Deposit Guarantee Program provides a guarantee to landlords of up to two month's rent instead of an actual payment. This Program offered through the State of Connecticut Department of Housing (DOH) issues Security Deposit Guarantee (Vouchers) to program participants who satisfy eligibility criteria: financial and categorical eligibility requirements. It is important that the Security Deposit application process is completed prior to moving into the apartment and or home. This is NOT an entitlement program.~ Multiple eligibility requirements apply.

Financial Eligibility:  To be financially eligible, your household’s total gross annual income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guideline by family size OR you may be financially eligible because you receive temporary family assistance (TFA), diversion assistance pursuant to §17b-112g of the Connecticut General Statutes (CGS), state-administered general assistance (SAGA), refugee assistance, aid to the aged, blind or disabled (AABD), food stamps, safety net services pursuant to section 17b-112e of the CGS or Medicaid.~ You can be determined financially eligible but you will not be found eligible for the program if it is determined that you do not have enough money to pay the monthly rent.

Categorical Eligibility: To be categorically eligible, your household MUST MEET ONE of the following requirements:

1) Hold a federal Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher or a certificate from the Rental Assistance Program that was issued while being on the waiting list for rental assistance within the six months before filing a security deposit guarantee application

2)Currently reside in emergency housing or an emergency shelter in Connecticut

3) Cannot remain in permanent housing because a) you have received a notice to quit or a judgment has been entered against you in a summary process action pursuant to Chapter 832 CGS as long as the action was not based on criminal activity, or b) a judgment has been entered again you in a foreclosure action pursuant to Chapter 846 CGS and the time limit for redemption has passed,

4)You have left your permanent housing to escape domestic violence

5) A catastrophic event, such as a fire or flood has occurred with the 60 days before the application date, has made your permanent housing uninhabitable or you have been ordered to vacate your permanent housing by a local code enforcement official within the 60 days before the application date

6) You hold a federal Section 8 voucher or state Rental Assistance certificate from DOH and you are forced to vacate your residence because the unit failed a housing quality standard inspection when the failure was the responsibility of the owner and the owner will not correct the condition

7) Your household shares a dwelling unit with a primary tenant who is being evicted or engages in criminal activity,
8) Your household has been illegally locked out by your landlord and a policy compliant concerning the lockout has been filed with the police department

9) Your household has been living with a person who received a preliminary notice under section 47a-15 CGS or a notice to quit because of termination of a rental agreement for lapse of time, or

10)Your household left permanent housing because a child in your family who lived in the dwelling unit a level of lead in the blood equal to or greater than 20 micrograms per deciliter of blood or any other abnormal body of lead and the local director of health has determined, after an epidemiological investigation pursuant to section 19a-111 CGS that the source of the lead poisoning was the dwelling unit in which the child lived with the applicant.

Once your eligibility has been established, you will receive a “Certification of Eligibility” (Form DOH-SDG6).~ That certification can be shown to a possible landlord to prove that you are eligible for the program.~ We strongly urge you to NOT begin your search for a rental unit until you have received the “Certification of Eligibility.”

Application Process: Cannot apply more than once in any 18 month period and only allowed two payouts per applicant.

How are benefits Paid? The State of Connecticut Department of Housing will pay your landlord for damage beyond normal wear and tear or unpaid rent as long as the landlord notifies us that you moved from the dwelling unit within 30 days of the date you moved and you do not dispute the claim filed by the landlord.~ If you dispute with the landlord’s claim, you will be given a chance to dispute the claim before it is paid.

NEW: Coordinated Entry for Homeless: 

The way to access emergency shelter and housing resources in CT: everyone in need of emergency shelter or housing resources must be directed to call 2-1-1.  This includes community professionals calling on behalf of clients, including education, medical, justice, and social service staff.  If a person in need cannot call him or herself, please help by calling 2-1-1 with them. 

After dialing 2-1-1, select option 3 and then option 1 to reach specially-trained Housing Specialists.  Staff will perform an initial assessment, make referrals as needed to help avoid homelessness, and when appropriate, schedule a community –level appointment with one of their designated case managers.  This does not guarantee immediate shelter or housing placement, but all resources will be exhausted for the household through this process.  If you cannot call 2-1-1 from your phone, dial 1-800-203-1234

Connecticut Homeless Shelters And Social Services DIRECTORY.  A complete list of Connecticut Shelters, many are emergency shelters along with general homeless shelters and some transitional housing
opportunities. Please note, many of these shelters may have waiting lists, so please call before arriving.  

For updates on the progress of Coordinated Entry in the Greater Hartford area, please consider contacting Mollie Greenwood <Mollie.Greenwood@JourneyHomeCT.org>.  She can put you on the distribution list for the Journey Home newsletter.