What is the Consumer Law Project for Elders (CLPE)?
The Consumer Law Project for Elders (CLPE) is a project of Connecticut Legal Services, a non-profit law firm. CLPE advocates (attorneys, and paralegals) provide free legal assistance to seniors with consumer legal problems through a statewide telephone hotline.
Who can call the CLPE Hotline?
People 60 years of age or older can call the CLPE Hotline if they have questions about their rights as a consumer (purchaser of goods or services), or a consumer problem. Seniors of any income or asset level, or people on their behalf, can call the CLPE Hotline.
What are some examples of consumer problems?
- You have billing, debt or collection problems, including medical debt, credit card debt or harassment by debt collectors
- You are being billed for things you never bought.
- You are considering bankruptcy.
- You are a victim of identity theft.
- You have a dispute over goods or services.
- You have an unfair loan.
- You have a problem with a contract or a contractor.
- You have received a summons or notice about a court hearing involving your debt or your property.
Greater Hartford Legal Aid: 860-541-5000
Probate Court (in Simsbury): 860-658-3277
Taxpayer Advocate Service/ Taxpayer Bill of Rights:
The IRS has adopted a Taxpayer Bill of Rights to protect the rights of all taxpayers in dealings with the IRS. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the Internal
Revenue Service. We protect taxpayers’ rights by ensuring that all taxpayers are treated fairly, and that you know and understand your rights under the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Click here for more information.
- Additional Forms, Applications & Information
- Budget Coaching Program
- Disabled / Homebound
- Domestic Violence & Sexual Abuse
- Emergency Management
- Energy Assistance
- Flu Shots
- Food Assistance
- Health Services / Medical Insurance
- Holiday Basket Program
- Home Care Resources
- Housing / Mortgage Assistance
- Job / Employment and Education/ Training Resources
- Legal Information
- Mental Health & Addiction Resource
- NAMI Support Group
- Other Transportation Resources
- Prescription Drug Discount Card Program
- Renters' Rebate Program
- Resources & Assistance
- SNAP EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING PROGRAM
- Support Groups
- Utility Programs
- Veterans' Resources
- Youth Services